What has happened to Nikon?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Klindar
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Re: What has happened to Nikon?
In reply to Shotcents, Feb 15, 2013

Probably a worthwhile thread (very popular, after all, which is the proof) and no, I am not a fan boy but economic reality means most of us end up sticking with what we first bought. I started doing photography in 1964 - with Nikon gear - and have never regretted it. I now have the D7000 and D800. While some people report an unfavorable experience with the D800 I cannot share in this. It is the first small format (i.e., 35 mm) camera that allows me to leave my bulky, heavy medium format film equipment at home most of the time. IMO many people bought this camera without identifying the target customer. From the specs you know it was never intended to be a rapid-fire shooter. It is a connoisseur's camera, meant for the photographer valuing the finest possible image quality - extreme sharpness, low noise and high dynamic range - and prepared to take a bit of time in pursuit of that goal. These days it seems everyone aspires to be an action sports shooter. I do not. My interests are landscape, wildlife and nature in general. In these areas the D800 has no peer. For action sports there are better choices but I realized that before I chose it. For me, 4fps is plenty. I'm not a machine-gunner

I have done the tests and have no AF issues whatsoever, even in poor light where, again, the D800 has few if any rivals. This is possibly the case because I am not an early adopter and wait for the higher serial numbers when buying anything.

Nikon lenses are fantastic and the best ones really take advantage of the D800's superior performance. I also had half a dozen full manual primes left from film days, all purchased 1973 and earlier. John White modified these to work on the D300/7000/D800 and they are amazing lenses as well. You even get auto exposure in aperture priority mode. This cost me under $200. Nikon protected my investment by sticking with the F-mount and I appreciate it.

Thom Hogan regularly discusses Nikon's business situation and it actually looks pretty good at present. Nikon mostly hit their sales targets for the year past. The DSLR business generally is under pressure from phone cameras and mirrorless. Nikon is mostly a camera company so you could expect them to be up and down in an evolving market. Canon could probably lose their entire camera business and never notice. They are out there flogging copiers, scanners, printers, paper, toner, ink, broadcast gear, projectors and, for all I know, refrigerators.

Both Nikon and Canon are saying (if not by word, then deed) that the future of DSLRs and high end photography is FX. DX and APS-C will fall under the onslaught of mirrorless and toy cameras. Nikon's strategy seems to lie in pushing down the price of FX so as to bail out the serious photographers still hanging onto DX. Nikon had a very strong year with FX offerings. Even my dentist bought a D600 and loves it - his first digital camera. I know a lot of photogs, including some pros, who have the D800 and won't be letting go of it any time soon.

All that said, I know Nikon had some QA issues with early runs of the D800. It happens. Recall Canon's problem about the same time with the handgrips on some of their DSLRs decomposing into a carcinogenic muck and the light leaks at high ISO.

FWIW,

k

Klindar's gear list:Klindar's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow