DIY cleaning of 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II - experiences?

Started Feb 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maiaibing
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,490Gear list
Like?
DIY cleaning of 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II - experiences?
Feb 15, 2013

I can detect the tell-tale low grinding sound from my focus ring on the 70-200 f/2.8 IS L. Not sure what happened, but my guess is that a speck of mud first fell on then dried on the lens during a shooting the other day allowing it to "creep" into the focus ring.

Now the question is if I should try to pry the lens open and remove the sand trapped inside - or send it to the ridiculously expensive and slow - Canon service centre here in Europe. I do not expect that the sand has settled inside the lens itself. But I will need to take off the focus ring.

Would like to have advice from those who have opened this lens themselves or other Canon zoom IS lenses to fix a similar problem. Is it rocket science or only a question of careful mechanics?

Let me add, that if it involves fiddling with the glass elements inside - its nothing I will attempt myself.

maiaibing's gear list:maiaibing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow