Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lena Hale
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Like?
Re: Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?
In reply to gdourado, Feb 15, 2013

Well it's not necessarily a huge load to carry. Not all equipment is bulky. My DSLR body weighs less than two pounds, and the new lens I plan on buying for it is less than a pound. When I add a tripod to that, the one I have my eye on is 5 pounds which isn't light (for somebody tiny like me at least) but it's not unbearable.

Even with a heavy lens, I personally wouldn't go on an outing with all of my lenses. I'd only carry whatever lens I'm most likely to need, and if I wanted to have the other lenses and accessories just in case, I would keep them locked in my car and swap things out as needed.

To be honest, the weight of the equipment is the last thing I question when I look at hobbyist photographers, including myself. It's one of the most expensive hobbies I've ever discovered. If somebody is passionate enough about photography to invest that kind of money in it, the weight of their equipment isn't likely to phase them. I can only really see it bothering somebody who just wants to take fun pictures with friends, and I don't really consider those people photographers, just... regular people.
And in the case of those people, yeah, I don't see why they would own a DSLR, but most of them don't anyway. In my experience those people go for point and shoots just like they should.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow