sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,387Gear list
Like?
Re: Portrait and auto ISO to 1600 test on D5100
In reply to pavi1, Feb 15, 2013

pavi1 wrote:

sshoihet wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

Did you by any chance under expose and push in post?

It is better to expose bright and then reduce in post, the opposite will always induce noise that then must be dealt with.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

That is only true at base ISO. That sensor is basically isoless, you don't lose anything by underexposing and pushing in post and that is a better method if you have highlights you need to protect. This assumes that you are shooting raw.

As long as you are ok with the grain induced when you push it.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

It's the same "grain" you get by turning up the ISO. The only way to improve that is to improve the SNR which means you add more light.  Diffuse light coming in a window is great.

For a portrait, especially one at a higher ISO, you shouldn't sharpen the skin at all and some selective NR would be a good idea too. Areas higher in detail don't show noise as much but it will look horrible in smooth tonal gradients like skin.  I don't see much of a noise problem with this image, it would probably print fine at 11x14.  I did a B&W at that size recently, i ADDED grain to it and you still could barely see it.

Go shoot some 400 film and come back and tell me how bad the noise is in this image

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow