Going on Safari - but which camera XS-1 or Nikon D700?

Started Feb 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Going on Safari - but which camera XS-1 or Nikon D700?
In reply to 2nd degree, Feb 15, 2013

2nd degree wrote:

Thanks for the help (I think )

No easy answer here! I have a D80 at my disposal which gives me the 1.5x crop factor too, but I wouldn't fancy using it above ISO800 (guess that's unlikely as light levels should be okay). Also it's nowhere near as nice as the D700 to use, plus I'm worried about the 70-200mm lens value wise.

Not sure I want to make another lens purchase either, because I'd never use it once I got home.

Got a Panasonic TZ10 as backup which is okay for snapshots.

Jeez, I just don't know what to do. I am still drawn to the convenience of the XS-1. Think I'll see if I can track a nearby store down that has one in stock.

Alternatively I just take the D700 and lens(es) and make sure it's all insured. (Is covered on my household but would need to check for abroad).

You could rent or buy a refurbished D7000, which is an extremely fast camera, with great DR, high ISO (not nearly as good as the D700, but great for an APS-C camera) and beautiful colors.  It's silly to buy new gear when you already have such superb equipment.

If there is a guide or if you booked the trip through a travel agent you might ask about your safety concerns.  It's possible you are worrying for nothing.

I've seen some good images with the X-S1, but I would worry about AF performance.  And an X-S1 is not exactly cheap.  You could probably rent a D7000 and 70-300 VR for half the price of the X-S1 and you'll get far better, more salable images.

Whatever you do, make sure you bring a wide angle lens and tripod so you can make some long exposure, sunset or landscape type images.

I think ultimately if you leave your D700 at home you may regret it.  A camera like that is meant to be used.  Can't wait to see your images when you return.  Good luck.  Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
labe MOD
labe MOD
labe MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow