Moody Blues

Started Feb 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
drh681
Forum ProPosts: 11,096
Like?
Re: Moody Blues
In reply to RichS123, Feb 15, 2013

RichS123 wrote:

The prog-rock era in the UK was fantastic (at the time)...but, it's quite different to listen to it these days. Music has "moved on" a LOT since then and altho that era did have some great melody writers...it was rather simplistic in approach (except for the likes of Genesis, Yes, Tull, and Floyd)...and it's quite surprising just how much "space" there is (within the bars)...that today would be jammed full....with sound.

I was listening to some ELP a few days back...and was actually shocked (and disappointed) as to how "tame" empty and weak it sounded to me. Back in 1971 it just didn't come across like that.

I think that the loudness war in the music industry has influenced your (and a lot of other people's) listening preferences. Over the last few decades, music has lost much of it's dynamic range due to the "louder is better" mentality of the artists and recording studios. Sound quality just isn't important to them anymore. You can check out http://musicmachinery.com/2009/03/23/the-loudness-war/ for some very obvious examples.

So yes, older music definitely does have more "space" within the bars. Unfortunately, you are one of those people that actually think less "space" is a good thing. Let me guess, you listen to music on your $400 iPod with $5 iBuds. Upgrade to a decent pair of headphones and go listen to Eric Clapton's Unplugged album if you really want to hear what a properly mastered album sounds like. You'll also be amazed at how great your iPod/iPhone can actually sound - just be sure your MP3's or AAC's bitrate is 256kbits or better.

Rich

That was just a little knife in the back.

The MP3 algorithm is the axe to the neck of music quality.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow