Going on Safari - but which camera XS-1 or Nikon D700?

Started Feb 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,309Gear list
Like?
Re: Going on Safari - but which camera XS-1 or Nikon D700?
In reply to 2nd degree, Feb 15, 2013

2nd degree wrote:

Hi All,

After some advice here. Lucky enough to be going to Kenya (Tsavo East) later this year. I currently shoot with a D700 and have the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 and a 1.7 TC.

Naturally I'm reluctant to take this combo with me for a few reasons:

1. Don't really want to be swapping lenses when I need wider shots (dust and inconvenience)

2. Risk of damage/theft.

3. Weight

I have thought about the XS-1 as viable alternative but wondering if I may feel frustrated by it compared to the D700.

Naturally the focal length and IQ of the larger sensor appeal to me but the last hybrid camera I used was the Fuji Z602 (a great camera at the time) which I appreciate was some years ago!

My main concerns are the EVF and lag I suppose. Would love to go along to Jessops and try one out but alas thats no longer possible!!! Do you guys reckon the XS-1 would be a good choice fo Safari?

Thanks

Alan

Personally I'd be quite happy to shoot a Safari with the X-S1, it's made for it, great range and great IQ with loads of versatility. Interestingly the Fuji samples were taken by a Pro on Safari . I think the X-S1 definitely has good enough image quality, the quality images will be down to you, enjoy your trip whatever you choose.

-- hide signature --

For the person who is good with a hammer, everything in life tends to look like a nail.....
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
labe MOD
labe MOD
labe MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow