Sent NEX 5N in for repair of screen coating & they also replaced shutter unit!

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
lenshoarder
Contributing MemberPosts: 599
Like?
Re: Sent NEX 5N in for repair of screen coating & they also replaced shutter unit!
In reply to boardsy, Feb 15, 2013

boardsy wrote:

traveler2012 wrote:

My screen has this as well. So I went online and chatted with a tech, was quoted standard repair of $198. I'll live with the screen.

You can prise off the worn coating all in one piece, starting from a corner with a blade, to reveal the original perfect glass beneath... more glare/mirror effect, but clearer and better than a rough peeling plastic coating. I use the crappy plastic shield from a cheap $10 sun-hood to protect the LCD now, it clips on/off easily to see better if necessary, and I clip on the sun-hood in bright sunshine.

-- hide signature --

You can replace the coating with a piece of optical glass. Costs about $5 on ebay cut for the NEX. I haven't even bothered replacing mine. I thought about having Sony fix it under warranty, but they wanted me to pay for shipping to their facility. Cheaper for me to replace it with a $5 piece of optical glass from ebay. That will last longer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow