Started Feb 14, 2013 | Questions thread
smatty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,813Gear list
Like?
Re: Or bite the bullet...
In reply to Najinsky, Feb 15, 2013

Najinsky wrote:

smatty wrote:

Many people have left Aperture for various reasons and went to look for other alternatives instead of hoping and pleading that Apple will change this or support that. Apple has been quite bad with their pro apps maintenance and updates and we might just have to accept that they leave this market to other companies like Adobe who put all of their resources behind it while Apple focuses on the more profitable "simple user" as they outnumber the pro's by magnitudes.

Many have also left and come back, having regretted leaving. Leaving is a big decision which may lead to regret, you shouldn't be so eager to push others into it just to make yourself feel better about your choice or because you are angry at Apple.

That is a lot of hobby psycology interpretation into my statement!

I am not pushing anyone into it! But sometimes it makes sense to look over the fence to see if there are other (or meanwhile better) solutions out there. And a decision to switch must be based soley on the persons individual needs and preferences. This must be a well researched and educated decision - I think we both agree in this.

And I don't need to make myself feel better about my choice. I am really happy with what I have - no regrets!

I am not angry at Apple - why should I be? I am a long time shareholder and happy about every product they sell that increases the value of the stock. But it does appear that Apple focuses less on the pro customers that used to be the main target group for their Mac's.

Why do I think so? Last serious update of the Mac Pro in 2009. Pretty and thin new but glued together MacBook Pro's, Retinas and iMac's with few options to upgrade HDD, SSD or RAM by yourself. Final Cut X...

Yet, they are selling more products (more cars vs. trucks as they once compared) and are way more profitable. So this might be the reason why Aperture (or MAC OS X RAW to be exact) did not get an update for that tiny fraction of Aperture + Fuji X-Trans & EXR sensor users.

Will they ever implement RAW support? I hope so but no one knows when or if... so there is also a price to waiting (as I described in my previous post) for those who really need RAW support. With each image that you stick into the Aperture ecosystem a future switch will be an even larger hassle.

And switching forwards and backwards for "features" truly is crazy

Cheers,
Smatty
=> Homepage
=> Recent Flickr Photos

smatty's gear list:smatty's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow