Front-focused Sigma 30mm 1.4, how much to fix?

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,636Gear list
Like?
Re: Front-focused Sigma 30mm 1.4, how much to fix?
In reply to hellocrowley, Feb 15, 2013

hellocrowley wrote:

I just bought a Sigma 30mm f1.4 on eBay. It front-focuses severely with my 550D, totally unusable.

I might try to file a complaint with eBay and see how that goes. But in case that doesn't work, how much would it cost to send my lens + camera to Sigma and have them repaired? Also, how long?

You don't need to send both the camera and the lens to Sigma. They have proper calibration parameters for Canon cameras. When I purchased my Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM II Macro Zoom Lens almost 4 years ago it front focused, but, was correctable with MFA on my 50D.

Since I purchased the lens I bought a 7D and a used XTi. With firmware V2 on the 7D the lenses was beyond the MFA range of the 7D, and of course the XTi does not have MFA.

Sigma warrants their EX lenses for 4 years, so before that ran out I sent the lens into Sigma. It cost about $8 in shipping and another $10 in insurance to ship it in.

Turn around was 1 week from the time they received it, to the time I got the lens back yesterday.

Their invoice indicates that the lens was calibrated to the Canon 7D sample parameters. I tested the lens last night on the Canon XTi and the focus is now perfect.

Here is the link to the Sigma Service page.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/service-support

There is a link to on that page to create an Online Repair Order.

A quick search shows the cost to be about $100 for an out of warranty calibration.

If the focus on your lens is as bad as you describe it may need more than just calibration.

If it is more than just calibration that could bolster your ebay claim.

Have you asked the ebay seller to accept a return?

I ran into a bad lens issue with an ebay purchase, and even though I'd previously purchased several lenses without issues, I've decided it's probably better to use KEH, Adorama, or B&H for used lenses, as the equipment is professionally graded, and they have good return policies and warranties.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow