Going on Safari - but which camera XS-1 or Nikon D700?

Started Feb 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,688Gear list
Like?
Re: Going on Safari - but which camera XS-1 or Nikon D700?
In reply to 2nd degree, Feb 15, 2013

2nd degree wrote:

Hi All,

After some advice here. Lucky enough to be going to Kenya (Tsavo East) later this year. I currently shoot with a D700 and have the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 and a 1.7 TC.

Naturally I'm reluctant to take this combo with me for a few reasons:

1. Don't really want to be swapping lenses when I need wider shots (dust and inconvenience)

2. Risk of damage/theft.

3. Weight

I have thought about the XS-1 as viable alternative but wondering if I may feel frustrated by it compared to the D700.

Naturally the focal length and IQ of the larger sensor appeal to me but the last hybrid camera I used was the Fuji Z602 (a great camera at the time) which I appreciate was some years ago!

My main concerns are the EVF and lag I suppose. Would love to go along to Jessops and try one out but alas thats no longer possible!!! Do you guys reckon the XS-1 would be a good choice fo Safari?

Thanks

Alan

EVF is quite good, but if often freezes up during focusing, so you can't follow the moving target while the camera is acquiring focus. It's best to try it before the trip to see if this will be a problem. Also, keep in mind that for best results from this camera it has to be used in a 6 MP mode (characteristics of a EXR sensor used), so there is not much room for cropping. It would be probably best to get D3200 or D5200 and 18-200 VR (or Sigma 18-250 HSM OS macro) to get the best possible quality without lens swaps (with some cropping of course). No super-zoom bridge camera will be good enough if you are used to D700 and 70-200 2.8.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
labe MOD
labe MOD
labe MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow