What has happened to Nikon?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
FtoDin5min
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Like?
My biggest problem with Nikon is me...
In reply to Shotcents, Feb 15, 2013

I bought 2 D800s in march last year, first batch coming out. The last camera I used was a D200 for family pics (but hardly used it). For 8 years, starting about 27 years ago, I was a professional photographer (architecture, using pentax and later Nikon F4 as well). Working in a very very different field since, and only took family pics since.

When I first got these D800s and had not heard about this left AF issue, hence having no doubt in my mind about the efficiency of the AF, I was banging my head about why I could not get a good picture out of my brand new super duper D800. It could only be me, but again, it was not like I did not have any technique behind.

So, only doubting me, I tweaked my technique, learned the settings that suited me best. And it was a real learning curve. It took a couple of months. During these two months, the left AF issue came out. I bought lensalign and reikan focal, AF fine tune my bodies, became crazy and tested and retested my left sensors... looked like I didn't have the dreaded issue.

Result is:

- I had to really adjust my technique and settings preferences

- A little of AF Fine tune

and now I have tack sharp pictures on a very consistent basis. I do have occasional misses but really not many and can never say what the causes of them are...

I still have an unexplained problem persisting with one body (and I have not tested the other one for it) : some polarization in blue skies sometimes (on raw files viewed across multiple platforms and softwares as well as on jpeg max quality). Polarization also shows on analysis of the raw file too.

Also my zoom AF Fine tune is not constant across focal length. I understand this is a typical problem but it is really annoying in some cases

Although the D800 is not expensive, Nikon is lucky that people who buy them probably study a bit more their purchase than for a cheaper camera, and hence may not be overwhelmed by the amount of contradicting info from unreliable sources.

Overall, once you really learn how to use this camera, it is truly unbelievable. But there is a very steep learning curve. Hadn't I invested the time in improving my technique, or had I read these forums about these focusing issues before realizing my technique needed to adapt (therefore thinking the misses were probably explained by the cameras poor quality), these bodies would have probably ended up dusty on a shelf...

I cannot compare the picture I took at the beginning to the ones I took after finding my way.

There is no doubt that some left AF problem exist, and by the sound of it Nikon service really sucks (I was myself less than impressed with their response to the polarization issue). But I have to say it is very hard for me to detect what comes from lack of experience on this specific camera, real problems, and internet frenziness/trolling.

An (old) idea to the mods: if you limit the threads talking about the problems to 1 per problem (maybe allowing only these specific threads to go beyond the 150 mark), I have no doubt that the trolling and fake info would get bored of feeding the same space. And you would be left there mostly with genuine input. Trolls/fake/spam love to start new threads every two minutes and be visible. This is why they are doing it. Problem is that sometimes these guys are good and do look genuine...

Best,

-- hide signature --

FTD5

FtoDin5min's gear list:FtoDin5min's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow