Is the Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR a good investment?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Questions thread
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,332Gear list
Like?
Re: Good grief, you just hung yourself.
In reply to LTZ470, Feb 15, 2013

LTZ470 wrote:

Tim39 wrote:

You're absolutely right, Joms -- the Fuji wins hands-down on handling, weight, size, manual zoom & focusing, and surely external controls.

BUT, and it's a big but, its competitors produce (to my eye) equal or better images without the need to muck around with EXR or RAW. Perhaps I should qualify that by saying "equal or better images" under favorable conditions. Still, I have to say that as much as I loved the HS30's predecessor's ergonomics, I didn't at all enjoy taking pictures with it. And that's why I returned the HS20 and, so far at least, haven't tried its successor. (Maybe the HS50 is what I've been looking for?)

jcmarfilph wrote:

Nightwings wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

You can get the same result from a sub 300$ camera. No tripod, no 500$ TC, no prayers. Only an idiot will pass on a 250$ deal and get an expensive overrated camera lol.

You canon shots are CLEARLY superior is all aspects ... less noise, more detail, nor CA, no purple tint. What in heavens name are you doing with that HS30 when you have that SX40 at your disposal. And don't gimme this manual zoom crap lol! You clearly can take VERY NICE shots with your motorized Canon.

-=[ Joms ]=-

-- hide signature --

Nikon AF - One Shot ..... One Kill

Different light, different distance, different colors (adult vs juvenile) so you cannot say SX40 is better. It is the slowest turtle in the toyzoom category. No toyzoom (even the gold-crap awardee) can touch HS30's speed in framing and focusing subject that requires zoom in or out just like those shots. Excellent handling, perfect weight and size. Similar IQ and sometimes better.

-=[ Joms ]=-

-- hide signature --

Tim

Agreed Tim HS50 could be a big game changer, and hope it is, but the Canon SX50 hasn't really changed too much from what I can see...it's faster, but a lot of soft shots are being posted from the 1200mm zoom...

And I agree with Joms the SX40 and SX30 are unacceptably slow...very frustrating to use them...not great for close ups either as there is no way to add an attachment easily...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

I've tried Sx50 too and it is definitely faster than Sx40 but the f/6.5 is a huge let down. IQ is similar to Sx40. Still a turtle and will not work for me unless I am old and just sitting in the backyard and waiting for birds to get on the feeder. Id rather buy an SX50 than invest on a 5 lbs 500$ TC just to extend a 500$ toyzoom. For now, HS50 will serve me better I am sure.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow