Best 50 mm lense!

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Questions thread
Don Daugherty
Contributing MemberPosts: 641
Like?
Re: Best 50 mm lense!
In reply to slickvibez, Feb 15, 2013

I've had some trouble with Sigma in the past (quality issues, compatibility issues).  I got rid of all of my Sigma for that reason.  Even with that bias, I was open to getting the Sigma 50mm F/1.4 because it seems to be really fantastic.  In the end, I knew that if I didn't get the Canon 50L I would always wonder.  I also got the Canon on a rebate, combined with credit card promotion that ended up dropping the net price quite a bit.

If I couldn't have the 50L, the Sigma 50mm F/1.4 would be my first choice.

D

slickvibez wrote:

Don Daugherty wrote:

I had a 50mm F/1.4 for probably close to 10 years before the focus gears gave out. I don't baby my gear, but I take pretty decent care of it. Personally I waited and saved for a 50L. I shopped a long time and almost pulled the trigger on the Sigma 50mm F/1.4 but decided in the end I would still want the 50L.

I have to say that I really didn't shoot that much with the 50mm F/1.4, I didn't like how it felt on the camera and was never very happy with the photos. Since I've gotten the 50L it has rarely left my camera.

slickvibez wrote:

Hi everyone, I am looking to purchase a 50 mm lense for a Canon t4i. I have been reading a ton on the different lenses offered and I'm currently debating these three: Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 50mm f/1.4, and the Sigma 50mm f/1.4.

I would greatly appreciate any comments/concerns for any of these! I have heard that the Canon 1.8 often gets stuck in cameras, the Canon 1.4 freezes and stops working after a year of use, and I have heard only great things about the Sigma 1.4.

Thank you so much in advance

Hey Don,

Thanks a lot. I don't really have the budget to afford the 50L (I assume you're talking about the Canon 50mm f/1.2L). Why did you almost buy the Sigma? I've read reviews and watched videos and it seems to the best 50mm f/1.4 on the market

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow