Started Feb 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dbbarron
Regular MemberPosts: 294
Like?
Focus+stability advice x-E1+600mm solid cat lens
Feb 15, 2013

I am going out on a limb and only bringing my X-e1, kit zoom, nikon adapter, 55mm Micro and 600mm Vivtar f/8 solid catadioptric lens for some birding (not BIF, but nesting).  My thinking is that although for BIF the X-E1 would be a big challenge, for stable long shots (nesting birds) it would be ok.

My goal is to assemble the lightest travel kit possible for this expedition.

However, I setup the X-E1 and 600mm indoors yesterday on a MeFoto travel tripod and it was shaky.  I mean really shaky.

Any contact with the lens would induce visible shake on the display (unmagnified) for a second or two.  If magnified for manual focus, there is so much shake when turning the lens, it is hard to focus at all (but definitely possible with some patience).  The magnified shake stabilizes after 3 seconds or so.

In the field I will not be on solid indoor ground.  I will be on boardwalks, in the wind, etc.

So, any advice?  I will weight the tripod and that should help.  I will try to shoot at 1/2000 or as fast as possible, but this is an f/8 lens, so I will be limited in that regard.

Perhaps I am setting myself up for failure, but I view this as an experiment.

All advice (other than bring a different tripod) welcome.

db

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow