Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,725
Like?
Still the only game in town
In reply to gdourado, Feb 15, 2013

gdourado wrote:

Hello,

With the increase advancements in sensor technology and mirrorless cameras, I was wondering how many non professionals still use DSLR's as their travel cameras or just general usage cameras...

If I was a payed photo professional, doing either event shooting, sports, nature or fashion shoots, a camera with maximum speed, precision and control would be a must. But if you are just an hobbyist or an amateur, do you still feel motivated to haul around a big DSLR with lenses all day?

I was wondering because myself for instance, I really enjoy some pictures I got some time ago with my 20D and 5D, but when I think about the fact that I left the hotel in the morning with a big and heavy camera bag, only to return at night, having a big camera always hanging from either my neck or my shoulder, I wish I had taken something smaller and lighter.

What are your feelings on this matter?

Cheers!

There is no better camera in terms of handling, getting the shot and image quality.

Using a good OVF is a joy, using a EVF is a very artficial experience. The feeling is not there - besides all the serious shortcomings in terms of DR, false colors, low resolution, slow refresh in low light, "slideshow" instead of live view at fast sequences.

Then we have the superior PDAF  of DSLRs when shooting moving subjects.

The lens selection is way superior (I dont count all the frankenstein-solutions with adapters and MF you can get for many mirrorless)

Better image quality and even more important DOF control. I get bored with all the flat shots where everything is in focus you tend to get with the small sensors of mirrorless.

Finally - I agree that many DSLRs are to big and bulky, but now that the trend goes towards smaller and more affordable FF DSLRs, we will have the best compromise.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow