X20 vs X10 vs XZ-2 vs MX-1

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
wstruth
Regular MemberPosts: 226Gear list
Like?
Re: X20 vs X10 vs XZ-2 vs MX-1
In reply to DS21, Feb 15, 2013

I was in your position a couple of years ago (even down to the Pentax DSLR) and at that time I purchased the LX-5, and later purchased the EVF for it, and then I purchased a flash for it.  My observations are: honestly I mostly used the LX-5 without either one. I still own the LX-5 but it does not get a lot of use since I purchased the X10.    The reason I went to the X10 was because I wanted a camera that could handle low light situations better than the LX-5 and still be relatively pocketable.  It lets me get useable shots where the LX-5 shots would be grainy. The LX-5 does have raw files that 3rd party software can process, I would guess the MX-1 will do DNG and therefore have 3rd party support as well at some point.

I use the X10 without the viewfinder as well. It didn't really give me any information, but the X20 sounds like it may well do so. Don't get me wrong, when the camera has a good viewfinder I will use it. However, working from the LCD opens up a lot of opportunites to allow me to move the camera around to get a different angle of view.

I typically use a high end P&S camera as walkabout camera.  Some part of me wishes for a tilt screen like the MX-1 has because it will save my knees alot of bending.

I don't have any experience (only read or watched reviews) with the other cameras you mentioned. Everyone of these cameras is a compromise, so my suggestion is that you try them out/ handle them to see which one is best for you.

Bill

wstruth's gear list:wstruth's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K-5 Samsung NX300
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow