If you're going to use the center AF point only...

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
MM1
MM1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,504Gear list
Like?
Re: If you're going to use the center AF point only...
In reply to DeFinitive, Feb 15, 2013

DeFinitive wrote:

GMussio wrote:

The outer AF points on the 6D are great. I hardly find myself in a situation where they dont work and when I do I just go back to focusing and recomposing with the center point. Many people forego their use altogether, but in okay light (it does not have to be great) they still work really well. I do like to use as many points as I can because focusing and recomposing does not always work... especially when your taking pics of moving subjects. Some could argue that action shots would require a better camera, but honestly, in daylight, the 6D has no problem locking focus with its outer points on a moving subject. I probably keep 3/4 pics of moving subjects with it. It also helps if your using wide primes with big apertures (like a 35mm 1.4). Due to field curvature, you can throw your subject slightly out of focus when you focus with your center point and then recompose using rule of thirds. If you use the outer points, you dont have to move all that much, if any (or you can crop later, which is feasible since your subject is closer to intended composition).

How much different are the outer AF points on a 6D compared to a 550D, similar or much better?

On paper, they should be the same. Single orientation, normal precision. The question is, what firmware is behind them. That can mean a lot. For example, my 1D2N and 30D/400D have the same central focus point "on paper". Yet, 1D2N is magnitudes better.

-- hide signature --
 MM1's gear list:MM1's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow