What has happened to Nikon?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
wombat779
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?
Re: Digiman - Your post has the 'evidence' all other posts anecdotal
In reply to Bajerunner, Feb 15, 2013

Bajerunner wrote:

Hmm highly interesting and moreso as you say independent. The issue of QC is very apparent and supports the anecdotal statements on this blog, quote ''More notable, to me at least, is that we’ve already had almost 10% of our Canon 5D III and Nikon D800s repaired, despite having them in stock only a few months. I said we usually don’t put things on the list that we’ve had less than 6 months, but this is so noticeable it deserves mention. Once again, early adopters seem to be doing some beta testing.''

I find it highly strange that just because people choose to reply and comment to a blog thread re issues, they are labelled 'having a problem with Nikon'. But here these factual links show clear QC and service issues. No one says they hate Nikon or Canon, but to comment on evidence is perfectly legitimate.

But look more closely at the numbers.  The majority of D800 repairs were needed to fix a broken battery door (a part Nikon now sells online for $3.90), while the majority of the 5D3 repairs were for bent CF pins. Now, the author notes that the D800 numbers do not include repairs needed for the left-AF issue, so presumably the D800 numbers will go up.  No mention of whether they had or bothered to send in any cameras for the 5D3 light leak tape fix.  In any case they are annoying issues for sure, but hardly indicative of major across the board major QC problems. Similarly regarding the list of lenses needing the most repair seems pretty varied and not specific to any manufacturer (e.g., its not Nikon's lenses are breaking all the time while Canon's are perfect). Indeed, the author of that Lensrentals article notes "Nikon makes excellent, reliable equipment and most people need a repair maybe once every couple of years."

Now, the Lensrentals data regarding Nikon USA repair times IS troubling, and I hope just represents temporary issues.  In short, what I get from that article is that Nikon Japan is less of a problem that Nikon USA (which is a mess).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow