46 megapixel canon Locked

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
andrewsf
Contributing MemberPosts: 532Gear list
Re: 46 megapixel canon
In reply to ben sensler, Feb 15, 2013

ben sensler wrote:

A few months ago, there was a lot of discussion about the arrival of Canon's high megapixel answer to the Nikon 800d. There were confident predictions that it would have 46 mp and that it would show up soon. I haven't seen any discussion or even speculation since October. Is this camera coming or not? If I buy more Canon lenses in the meantime on the assumption that I will have a high megapixel camera to put them on within a year or so, will I regret buying these lenses and wish that instead I had switched to Nikon's system?

Does Canon realize that there are Canon users who aren't buying Canon lenses these days because of uncertainty about Canon's intentions with respect to staying in the high megapixel race?

Hi Ben

Try not to get caught up in the marketing hype.

The difference between the D800 and the 5D3 is actually not that much at all.

In terms of linear resolution, the 5D3 image is about 78% of the D800.

At 300 dpi its:

D800
24x16

5D3
19x13

All you have to do to get the 5D3 to the same size is print at 235dpi You'll barely tell the difference.

Canon make very good lenses, and so do Nikon. Both brands are capable of printing amazing quality images that would only have been possible with medium format and slow film until recently.

I've printed 36x24 on a 10MP 400D and it looked pretty good. Some of my best prints are on 35mm film. Just go and take pictures of cool stuff that you would like to see on the wall.

andrewsf's gear list:andrewsf's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +1 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow