D800E lens strategy - will this work?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Emil Varadi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,051Gear list
Like?
Funding is the problem...
In reply to Emil Varadi, Feb 15, 2013

Thank you all for your valuable contributions. It's always good to learn other approaches to the same problem.

I do know that I will be quite OK with the trinity zooms on the D800E. The 14-24 and the 24-70 are obvious choices. But then I will have no money left for top primes. Have to say I am a bad maximizer and simply have to climb to the top of the mountain, climbing near the peak will not satisfy.

I did shoot with a borrowed set of D700, 14-24, 28-70 and 70-300VR last summer in Iceland, and one of my pictures is now at an photo exihibition in a central gallery here in Belgrade, where I currently work and live. So I know well that top Nikon zooms mounted on a good FF body do leave my DX zooms in the dust. As Pete had reminded me, I may have, however, underestimated the "pain" of shooting weaker lenses on a D800E. (Knowing what cameras exist today has a similar effect on shooting with my D300. I still go out to shoot, but much of the fun is gone).

Since I do a lot of urban shooting, just walking along the streets shooting passers by, buildings, window frames, grafitti, or anything unusual, the DX zooms seemed like a good solution. You don't need top IQ for such images, but do need the flexibility of zooms. But for landscapes and high quality images I will have top primes and top IQ.

So after buying the D800E I see two upgrade paths:

1. buy 14-24, 24-70, keep the 70-300VR and also my treasured Voigtlander 125/2.5, and sell 12-24, 16-85 and 35/1.8 DX;

2. keep all lenses except the 35/1.8 DX,  and "just" buy top primes like 24/1.4, 21/2.8, 85/1.4 or 1.8 or the 28/1.8. Will buy them one by one as time passes and funds allow.

Sure, my dilemmas would be smaller if I could reconcile myself with the D600 instead of the D800E, but so far I could not give up the idea to buy this über-camera. It's just too good.

Another option is to keep collecting top lenses and buy an a FF camera sometime later. However the jump in IQ with the D800E is too big to be ignored.

Emil Varadi's gear list:Emil Varadi's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Ricoh GR Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow