D600 & Yosemite National Park

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,864
Like?
Re: D600 & Yosemite National Park
In reply to kayone, Feb 15, 2013

kayone wrote:

Went to Yosemite Park over the weekend, took the D600 and shot with a combination of the 16-35mm f4 VR, 70-200 f4 VR and 24-70 f2.8. Good times

Good set - quite envious. You haven't asked for C&C, so if you don't want any, then please don't feel obliged to read on!

A few compositional points to resolve on location.

HDR view of Half Dome

Perfect conditions and timing on the sun behind the trees, but the reflections feel truncated to me. The merest pan down to contain those in frame would have made a big difference.

Bridalveil Falls

A dramatic scene, but the waterfall is a key element, I find it a bit frustrating not to see the lower part of it.

Three Brothers

The reflection of the tree is compromised - and not convinced the bottom right corner is the optimum view. I reckon the right hand edge is the key to the whole image and a bit more legwork on location may have found a more satisfying composition. The current image feels a touch right heavy.

Star Trails over Half Dome

Tunnel view of Yosemite Valley

My fave of the set, nice bit of moody weather. Tree bottom right? I find it a bit awkward, especially as its neither in nor out of shot, but the top left is the area of most concern. A step left and slight pan up may have worked - I don't think the base needs so much forest. What I'd be hoping to capture is a complete window on the cloud, so more cloud above the clear area of sky - it would give a far more satisfying flow of energy to the image.

-- hide signature --

UK wedding photographer in the Lake District
http://www.johnleech-weddingphotography.co.uk
For my landscapes and fine art photography:
http://www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow