sharpest wideangle to normal zoom at f8?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Questions thread
Shirozina
Regular MemberPosts: 310
Like?
Re: sharpest wideangle to normal zoom at f8?
In reply to RealPancho, Feb 15, 2013

RealPancho wrote:

Ethan637372 wrote:

Hi All,

I have recently gotten an e-m5 and found a love for doing night cityscapes. I am currently using a panasonic 14mm to achieve this and it seems plenty sharp for me at f/11.

However, lately I've been itching to get a zoom lens to vary my picture styles abit more, what would you consider to be the sharpest zoom lens at f/8 + ? ofcourse the first thing I thought of was the Panasonic 12-35mm, but it seems quite a few people are dissapointed with its sharpness and CA,

I find that most people who are disappointed with the 12-35 don't actually own one.

how does it compare to the panasonic 14-45mm? or oly 14-42mm II R? I heard both of those were sharp, which one would you choose to shoot at f8?

Cheers!

Eric

-- hide signature --

Frank

I own a 12-35, 14-45 and 14-42 - the 14-45 is the best lens for shooting at F8. The 12-35 is not anything special at the edges at wide settings on distant scenes and doesn't improve when stopped down. The 14-45 is better and even the 14-42 is at least as good. For a lens this expensive it's disappointing. Many reviewers have reported this issue so I'm not sure it's me who has a bad sample. Just to be clear  - wide end of lens, outer edges of image, only long distance. Close up all over and center of frame at any distance it's stellar.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow