Started Feb 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nowisall
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
My Story
Feb 15, 2013

I should say that I've been coming to DPR for years now, but I'm new to the forums. My first real camera was an Olympus OM1 with 50mm 'normal' lens, mid seventies. Eventually got a long lens and a wide lens, and an OM4. I learned how to meter light and how to choose aperture and shutter speeds to make proper exposures. I learned the basics of the Zone System. I was always trying to get it right. My favorite films were PlusX and Ektachrome. I had a darkroom for a while, cuz if you didn't have a darkroom you weren't serious. I I learned how to develop film and to make b&w prints. Burning and dodging days- good times! I decided I wasn't that serious and got rid of the darkroom after a year or so.
After several more years I tired of having to take my outfit with me to every family event, dragging out the camera, changing the lenses, etc. It seemed a chore to take pictures. I took less pictures. Eventually I sold off the OM4 and got a compact Minolta 35mm RF. Took a lot of nice Kodak moments with that camera. Easy! Around 1998 bought my first digital, a 1.0 mp Epson P&S to shoot pix of antiques I sold on EBay. Wasn't much fun, but it was fine for EBay purposes. Soon, I sold my OM1 and lenses. Bought a 2 megapixel Olympus P&S with some manual control. And let me tell you, 2 mp was major! After that I traded up every few years. I had Sony's first super zoom and that thing really was nice. It had an evf, almost complete manual control, nice sensor and lens. It put me in the mind of SLR shooting. Bought a Lumix super zoom, an Oly Stylus, and finally, in 2010, a DSLR: Nikon 5000 (cause it was smaller than the D90). It's nice, makes it possible to make beautiful pictures, even lets me change the ISO! But before long, that camera and its lenses got kinda big too. A lot to lug around, a pain to change the lenses. I bought a Canon Compact SZ to take to Disneyworld, left the Nikon at home.

Recently, a FB friend mentioned the Sony RX100. Intending to check it out, I went to DPR, and happened to see the OM-D which looked like my old cameras! Loved it! What was this micro 4/3'rds thing? Did the research, bought the OM-D with 12-50mm kit lens, a few days later. Couple more weeks, got the 1.8/45mm and the 1.7/20mm Pana. I've been reading a lot in these forms and elsewhere and taking a lot of pictures to really get to know this camera. I love it. Not because I think it's the best, not because I think it's better than the Nikon. But because the nostalgia works for me, the size works for me, the evf works for me, the photos it's helped me make are totally working for me! It has freshened my interest in photography, and my husband and I are having fun finding places to shoot and improving our skills. He's using the Nikon and it's all working out well!
So that's me. There's a lot I need to learn. My goal is to keep on learning from all of you!

Thanks, Denise

Nikon D90 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow