Started Feb 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,366Gear list
Like?
New XZ2
Feb 15, 2013

I just got my new XZ2 today (from OlympusAmerica, serial JKM202nnn). I shot about 100 pictures with it and my XZ1. So far I am quite pleased with my XZ2. The images are clearly better than the XZ1, especially when the light starts to get dim.

After all the reports on this forum about autofocus performance, I was concerned about that, especially the complaints concerning autofocus performance when a single center point was selected. That is the mode I have used my XZ1 in the most since it was recommended by Jon404 and I have found it works really well. So right away I set my XZ2 to focus on a single center point. I shot a variety pictures in outdoors sunlight, outdoors 15 minutes after the sunset, and indoor lighting, including poor bed room lighting. In every case I found that the autofocus performance was good when taking the photos. And also the focus appeared good when the images were loaded onto my computer. The autofocus performance was about the same as my XZ1. For both cameras, there was an occassional poor focus, probably associated with my hands not being perfectly steady. But that was a rare event, only happening a few times out of a hundred shots.

Of course the Autofocus is not as fast as my Sony A65, but it is fast enough, and more importantly, accurate.

There was one tip I picked up on a Canon forum, saying that some users of early Sony NEX and some Canon models had poor autofocus performance when the AF Assist lamp was turned on. They said those camera models worked better with the AF Assist lamp turned off. So I set my XZ2 (and XZ1) that way also.

In general, I would say the AF performance is as good as I would hope it would be. The camera is still focusing accurately when the noise level of the camera is getting to the point where the photo is not very good anyway.

With the XZ2, there were a couple of poor focuses when I had accidentally flipped the front switch to manual focus. But I learned really fast to pay attention to the MF indicator showing on the display so that is total non-issue. It is really nice having that front face MF/AF switch. The way it works with the front ring and a magnified view of the center of the image is very smooth and well thought out.

My VF2 viewfinder works fine on the XZ2. But it is not as essential as it is as with the XZ1 because the outdoor visibility of the XZ2 main display is much improved compared to the XZ1.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +20 more
Olympus XZ-1 Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow