Movable fake walls?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jack A. Zucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,539
Like?
Re: Movable fake walls?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Feb 15, 2013

Great idea. Thanks very much. One concern is whether the bolts through the HD foam would just tear out?

Sailor Blue wrote:

Jack A. Zucker wrote:

Thanks. That solution won't work exactly because I don't have the space for the ladder but I'm sure I can borrow some of the concepts. I looked at buying the DVD. Is it work $90?

Jack, in your case probably not.

Note that high density (polyurethane?) foam is not the white crumbly Styrofoam stuff they sell for cheap home insulation. It is a solid open cell foam sheet, is several times heavier, and is much stronger. Most that I have seen is yellow. The open cells on the surface are great since texture paint (water based paint with plaster added to it) clings well.

If you have a wall or a corner of your studio that you can rest high density foam sheets against you can add strips of foam to the back. That way a simple stand of wood would hold them vertical but the strips on the back would touch the wall. This should provide sufficient support for a model to lean against the sheets.

An easy way to make the stand is to use a 2"x4" and a pair of shelf L brackets with a couple of bolts through the two shelf brackets and the sheet of foam.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow