Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
engbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,409Gear list
Like?
Re: to ARB1
In reply to engbert, Feb 15, 2013

engbert wrote:

mmmmmmmm wrote:

Sorry, I posted the wrong picture. this one was taken at the Grand Canyon last summer with the D800. I used the center focus point the whole trip.

respectfully,

David Miler

A lovely scene. But the center point would have been on the irregular shadow on the rocks. And f13 would be prone to diffraction. I am not sure this is a basis for damming a camera.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/bertramm pbase & dpreview supporter

I still would like to understand how this picture helps to examine the AF of the camera.  Please would you tell us what you were focusing on?  Did you check it in View NX or Capture NX to see where the actual focus point was?

The center focus point would have been on the rocks in the middle of the picture, which have almost no contrast upon which the AF can work.  Allowing for that, and for the diffraction at f13, this may be the best you can expect.

What was the temperature?  Could heat haze have affected the sharpness?

Finally, did you use a tripod?  Even with a fairly fast shutter, I have doubts about evaluating equipment without using a solid tripod.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/bertramm pbase & dpreview supporter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow