Tripod fitting these constraints?

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
river251
Regular MemberPosts: 229
Like?
Re: Feisol ct3442
In reply to NancyP, Feb 15, 2013

NancyP wrote:

You can buy the head separate from the legs. If I get a smaller tripod, I would likely go for a high-quality small head, one size down from the biggest head the manufacturer makes. ArcaSwiss p0, Markins Q3 or Q10, and RRS 30 and 25 sizes are some examples of top-quality small heads.

I have been very happy with my "systematic" style (no center column) Feisol CT 3472, the big brother (38 mm diameter legs) of the CT 3442, mounted with a ArcaSwiss Z1sp ball head, and compatible with a half gimbal for 400mm lens. This is great for birds, overkill for landscapes. When I get too annoyed with hiking with the thing, I may downsize to a 27 mm diameter leg compact tripod kit.

Thanks much Nancy. Can you help me understand what "headless" tripods are about? Is it that the legs are made long enough that you can go without a center column and mount the head directly to the legs, to avoid the weaker support of the center column? I do notice it usually is with more heavy duty tripods, but it seems like you should be able to mount the head to the legs with any tripod, so I don't understand if there is something special about a purpose built headless tripod.....??

Thanks

Jim

-- hide signature --

You're as happy as you think you are.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow