DSLR bundle (body + lens) for about $1000?

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Questions thread
Rich Rosen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,299Gear list
Like?
Re: DSLR bundle (body + lens) for about $1000?
In reply to kraut67, Feb 15, 2013

kraut67 wrote:

Thanks for all the great advice. I checked out the different bodies and feel of the various cameras.

I am getting the T4i with the 18-135 STM. I am going to be using the some lenses from my brother as well (the availibility of the free use of lenses really is what pushed me over). Once I am comfortable with the camera and find what ranges I like most I'll add to my own collection.

I now am debating what package I should get (considering I am starting from scratch). With those packages I don't know if they are just adding a bunch of worthless fillers, that I really will never need, or if they are simply not good quality.

The plain T4i & 18-55 lens is about $650.

So the T4i /18-135 STM & basic accessories runs for about 920 and it adds this to the camera & lens:

$481.00 if bought separately.

SanDisk - 16GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme Class 10 UHS-I

You need it. If bought individually- $20

Lowepro - Toploader Zoom 50 AW Bag (Black)

Only carry's the camera, and lens. $45

Pearstone - LP-E8 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.4V, 1100mAh)

You do get a Canon battery in  the camera box. Is this an additional battery?

Tiffen - 67mm UV Protector Filter

not needed  $7

Pearstone - Microfiber Cleaning Cloth, 18% Gray (7 x 7.9")

$5 useful expensive

Vello - IR-C1 Infrared Remote Control for Canon Digital Cameras

do you need this ? $6

CR2025 3V Lithium-ion Battery (Pre-Installed)

$1.99, labor ????

Sensei - Cap Keeper Plus Lens Cap Holder

$3

For $1070 I get most of the above (different remote) and this in addition:

Sensei - Cap Keeper Lens Cap Holder

Vello - FreeWave Plus Wireless Remote Shutter Release - 2.4GHz (for Canon)

FreeWave Camera Release Cable for Select Canon/Contax/Pentax/Samsung Cameras

FreeWave Camera Release Cable for Canon Cameras with 3-Pin Connection

Vello - BG-C5 Battery Grip for Canon EOS T4i, T3i & T2i

Kenko - LCD Monitor Protection Film for the Canon EOS T4i

SquareTrade - 2 Year Drops & Spills Warranty

And for another $90 I can add the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens.

So if I want all of it it's will be $1160, and I end up with the camera, 2 lenses and a bunch of accessories. Do you guys find you need these accessories (in other words are they worth the markup in the bundle)? Would it be best to buy all of it at once, because I'll probably use it down the line, or only add what I feel I would need down the line (which may be less than above, but more expensive as individual items)?

Most of what they package with these cameras is useless. The cap keeper, the uv filter, the cleaning cloth, and possibly the case are unnecessary Items. But if the lens is a 18-135 STM, why not? Please make sure that this is a US warrantied camera and lens. If it isn't, think twice about getting from these people. Please check, these retailers online for their customer service rating.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow