Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,454Gear list
Like?
Re: X100: Random Scenes from Kyoto, Japan
In reply to bigpigbig, Feb 15, 2013

bigpigbig wrote:

TThorne wrote:

Nice shots! I am really thinking of picking up that Fuji Wide adapter for the X100/X100S, just because!

I don't think Ratty needs an 18-55. He already has the 18 and 23 covered. If he added interchangeable, I could see him with a 14mm and 35, and the 56 when it comes out.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

Sure...with two bodies...that have lesser image quality.

One body, one lens replaces both of those and gives the flexibility to throw on a 14mm, the (everone agrees) best 35mm out there, and very soon a 55-200. That pretty much covers it all. no?

No, I wouldn't say it is a replacement, although the 18-55 is very handy and high quality indeed. It really depends on the person. Back when I hauled around DSLRs, I had 2 D3s, one with a wide zoom (17-35) and one with a tele zoom (70-200VRII). Great constant aperture fast zooms. DOF control was great on the FF sensor. Yeah, I knew I was missing out on some excellent primes that had even more speed and DOF control, as well as being even wider than 17mm, (14mm f/2.8, 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, 135mm f/2...) but it was a worthy sacrifice to keep the kit small and light.

Anyhow, people always thought I was against the primes, but I wasn't. I just wanted to carry less and cover most. I never carried a mid zoom or 50mm because I never really got caught in a situation my setup couldn't get the photo in.

Fast forward to the X Series and the logical transition for me is the 10-24mm f/4 and the 55-200 f/3.5-4.8. Honestly, I could do that, no problem, even though it is a slower setup with less DOF control both from the aperture and the smaller sensor. But I am saving so much size and weight that I am inclined to go with the fast primes and their benefits. My actual end setup will likely be more lenses, with any variation in my bag at a time. The only downside there is changing in the field, but I have that covered for the most part.

2X XP1

One of them will likely get a permanently mounted 10-24mm.

For the other, I'll likely vary between the 56mm and the 55-200 mostly, but also the 23 and the 35mm.

It will however keep lens changes down to replace the 23 and 35 in the bag with my X100S.

Anyway, comes down to the type of shooter you are. Some people are fine and happy with a single lens.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow