What has happened to Nikon?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,926Gear list
Like?
Re: What has happened to Nikon?
In reply to Robin Casady, Feb 15, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

From a number of threads, I have to wonder about you perception of cameras and lenses. You ranted about AF problems, then you posted that you tried the AF-ON only technique and all was good. Now you are ranting again. You seem to think the 24-85 VR is as sharp as the 24-70.

I posted that all was improved. And it is. But I do not find the D800 AF as good as the D700, nor does anyone else I know. Let's be realistic. Look at this thread. Don't you SEE the people who are not happy? This was not the case with the D700 and I had that camera from 1st release.

(As for the 24-85vr, yes, in the center of the frame it's so close to the sharpness of the 24-70 and 70-200 as to be hardly significant. I can prove it with samples if you'd like, but I can also point you to a nice online comparison that also agrees. But this is off topic-send me a PM and I'd be happy to discuss)

The D800E has been more than I dreamed possible a few years ago.

That's great, Robin. I mean that. I don't wish anyone to have problems with this expensive gear. It's a sinking feeling. But again, look around you. These forums and websites are LOADED with issues on the latest Nikon cameras. Weak AF, left AF out of whack, oil on sensors, cameras DOA and more. And Nikon is utterly silent. When Canon had a couple of early issues with the 5DIII they announced it FAST. I'd feel good if I owned a camera from a company like that.

The AF on my D800E is more accurate and reliable than any of my previous DSLRs. I guess I've been very lucky with my D800E in that it has not needed any AF fine-tuning and the extreme left AF is as good as one can expect (not a cross sensor). I did have to do some fine tuning on the D700.

My D800 requires AF tuning on all lenses. So do most that I hear of. My D700 and D300 only required small amounts of tuning on 1.4 glass as I recall.

I have no way to judge what other people's D800 and D800E cameras are like. Since some of the major photo pundits say that there are problems, I assume there must be. I doubt that they are as bad as some of the ranters have claimed.

Why would you doubt this? I have a camera with what my friends call "a minimal left AF issue."

Top crop is using the left sensor. It doesn't matter what the subject is. The focus error is 100% repeatable. If your camera does not do this then I very glad, Robin.

I'm glad that my D800E is so excellent. I'm sorry for those who have had bad experiences, but it annoys me that some of then are using this forum to vent their frustration over and over and over and over.

Robin, you have the luxury of owning a trouble free D800e. And that's fantastic. But if you're watching the forums you certainly know that something has happened to Nikon. Whether it's Earthquakes, global warming or terrorists, many of us paid a lot of money for gear that is substandard.

Still worse, Nikon has been cryptic and less than helpful in fixing the problems. How many times have you read about owners sending back cameras two or more times? It's incredible that this could be tolerated. So now, and this is particularly sad, I'm AFRAID to get my D800 serviced for fear that it will end up worse. Or that they'll blame me and charge me.

Robin, as my Irish friends like to say, "This is just not on."

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow