God wasn’t too pleased by the Pope's decision!

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Brian
Forum ProPosts: 10,417
Like?
Re: God wasn’t too pleased by the Pope's decision!
In reply to DreamsAreDust, Feb 15, 2013

DreamsAreDust wrote:

Brian wrote:

DreamsAreDust wrote:

Brian wrote:

DreamsAreDust wrote:

Brian wrote:

DreamsAreDust wrote:

Brian wrote:

DreamsAreDust wrote:

Brian wrote:

DreamsAreDust wrote:

Funny how your pathetic 'god' can do this but doesn't give a shiit about kids with leukaemia..

-- hide signature --

Don't bother with dreams, reality turns them into dust..

How do you know he doesn't care about kids with Leukemia?

-- hide signature --

Brian

Because an omnipotent caring god might have done something to eradicate it from the planet..

-- hide signature --

Why would they?

If there was a God, should he have given you the perfect life?

Me? Where did I say anything about me?

Everyone would be of perfect build with a permanent smile, perfect intelligence. etc... Everyone would always do good to each other. you could have 1.5 children and live to be exactly 100 years old. There would be no global warming, etc.....

No your leukemia thing is just not holding water with me. Why would you want a perfect life. It would be perfectly boring.

-- hide signature --

Brian

And where did I say anything about "perfect world"?

Damn.. what a way to TOTALLY misunderstand or MISREPRESENT what I wrote.. do you read much?

-- hide signature --

OK, let us address leukemia. you pose the question as to whether an omnipotent being would eradicate it or not. I pose the question, why should he/she. Maybe the omnipotent one created leukemia.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Now that IS entirely a possibility - in which case I would say this thing is not worthy of worshipping.

You make sense - if everything was created by a god then that includes all the 'bad' things - malarias, Ebola, tsetse files, kids with cancer, still born kids, etc..

Why would anyone want to praise that deity?

If this 'god' is supposed to the soul of love and kindness and loves us completely then why do these things exist..

Back to Epicurus - 'good' god = why leukaemia?.. 'bad' god = why worshp?

-- hide signature --

Next question. How can you have the good without the bad? How would you know if you are Happy if you never experienced the bad?

Lets get down to base living. Why do you do anything? Why do you eat? because you don't like hunger pains? why do you put on clothes, (aside from the fact that no one else wants to see you like that)? because you are cold.

Could not hunger be viewed as bad? how about cold? If you did not have the bad, you could not know joy.

The Christian belief is that in the life to come, you can be made perfect. You will have the knowledge and experience of bad in order to understand pure joy.

In the end, you can't go anywhere without resistance.

-- hide signature --

Brian

True, yes.. but does that also apply to the extremes if 'bad' - childhood cancers, still births, long term diabetes (which causes a leprosy-like peripheral neuropathy), even psychological problems (psychotic behaviours, manic depressives).

We could have had 'bad' to show us what good is without this god creating such extremes..

Sadly, your logic and argument also applies to many other things (in that if we have cancer as a 'bad' to show us what 'good' is..).. We don't get to pick and chose what's a test and what's proof of 'goodness'..

Paedophiles are now also gods work, as are the spate of US school shootings.. Pol Pot/Hitler, North Korea, even the Twin Towers and the planes.. Nuclear weapons, and so on.

The end result is this - for a supposedly omnipotent god, it's done a very slack job of the whole system.

Back to the original thing - if god really exists then it's not worthy of worship..

I would shout to the heavens "You are NOT worthy!!"..

-- hide signature --

In the end, I don't see you doing a better job. If there is a god, I am sure his reasons for doing things the way he did are his own. If there is a being so great as to create the heavens and earth, I am sure he knew what he was doing in creating sickness as well. Certainly his thinking would be far more advanced than yours and mine. I certainly am not one to try and out guess a being far more advanced that I.

Why is it so hard to accept that you can't fathom everything. Just because you can't justify why God can create terrible sicknesses and still be a merciful loving being, doesn't make him non existent. It may just mean that you don't have the capacity to think like a God.

So you can take your understanding and decide there isn't a God, but I am guessing it is know better an observation than an ostrich sticking its head in the sand and thinking it is safe.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Either way, my disbelief in god is my choice and only affects me, whether it be right or wrong..

Believing and keeping on with the notion that "god will make it all good" is a cowards way out.
If someone can see what's wrong with the world, they shouldn't wait for god to fix it, they should act themselves.

Me? I can see what's wrong with the world but, so long as it stays away from me and affects me a little as possible, the world can go screw itself..

-- hide signature --

Definitely doing nothing with the notion that God will make it all good is a poor way to live life.  I have a strong belief in God, but I believe that he expect ones best if he is to do his best for you.

I also think that God expects us to take care of the Earth.  I don't like to get involved in the whole global warming/climate change nonsense, but I think we need to consciously make decisions to better the earth around us.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow