6D vs D600 Astrophotography

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,615Gear list
Like?
Re: 6D vs D600 Astrophotography
In reply to Mike K, Feb 14, 2013

Mike,

Samyang/Rokinon have QC issues. There is a fair bit of variability between copies. You just got a bad one. I wouldn't give up on that 14mm lens as I have seen many many superb images using one with a 5D2.

I had to get a 2nd copy of a Samyang 24mm F1.4 as the first copy had left side out of focus stars and right side in focus. Later copy is fine and it gives a wonderful rendition and very sharp.

As far as live view focus goes its easy to focus on a bright star on a Nikon  - simply use ISO6400, put it on a bright star and hit the magnify several times and focus. I've done it many times very easily and gotten perfect focus. In fact its very handy as some fast lenses show a lot of coma/chromatic aberration and you can focus it slightly and see the chromatic aberration shift or reduce. Also you can see the effects on coma/chromatic aberrations by stopping down in live view to set widest f ratio with least chromatic aberrations.

It is widely commented that Canon live view screen is better than Nikons - not sure about D600/6D if that is still the case but I suspect it is.

Greg.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
D600New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow