growers
Regular MemberPosts: 222Gear list
Like?
Re: Doubt it
In reply to texinwien, Feb 14, 2013

texinwien wrote:

growers wrote:

texinwien wrote:

Had the poster said, for instance, "I think the 60D has better dynamic range," his statement would have been clearly his opinion. As it is, he made a statement of fact that is incorrect.

There's is no such thing as a statement of fact on an internet forum!

Your statement is interesting. Either it is a statement of fact, in which case it contradicts itself. Or else it's not a statement of fact, in which case it's just your opinion, one with which I disagree.

It's an opinion of course, I'm not some kind of overarching oracle or font of all knowledge!

Besides it would get quite tedious if folk had to qualify every sentence with "IMO ...", "I think ...", etc. (IMHO).

I prefer to say what I mean and to make it clear whether I am offering an opinion or else stating a matter of fact. I mean, if it's all just opinion, well, it's all a bit worthless, isn't it?

Not worthless, but common sense has to be applied interpreting anything posted on internet forums whether qualified as an opinion or otherwise. Most people are pretty good at sorting the wheat from the chaff though so it's mostly worthwhile.

I would like to be able to make a statement of fact such as, "DxO reports that the OM-D has 12.3 EVs of dynamic range", then make a statement of opinion, such as, "for my needs, the OM-D is the best camera currently on the market".

If you had said "the OM-D is the best camera currently on the market" without the qualifier, I'd take it as implied that that is your opinion.

Now, let me ask you, if I said that DxO reports that the OM-D has 12.5 EVs of dynamic range, would you call me a liar (since that's not what they report) or would you excuse it as a difference of opinion?

I wouldn't call you a liar as it may have been an error. But I also wouldn't take it as a statement of fact because it may be an error (or something more sinister!).

I simply disagree that there are no statements of fact on an internet forum

tex

growers's gear list:growers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow