Olympus trys to Calm our fears once more

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it enough?
In reply to WhyNot, Feb 14, 2013

WhyNot wrote:

I'm a consumer of cameras... Olympus is a seller. I bought into Olympus DSLRs a few years ago because they provided what I needed at the time and appeared to provide a path forward.... I would like to see an E-50 that compared favorably to Pentax's K-5 or K-30 but there is none (not even on a map of any kind.) Spring is close and I'd like to consider a long macro for better working distance than my ZD50 but Sigma has left and Olympus never delivered.

That is the one lens they may develop for 43rds but with a CDAF/PDAF motor... if possible, so all those MMF3s and MMF2s etc get put to good use

I'd like to see a 400mm f/5.6 to compete with Canon's or a 100-400mm but I don't see any of that in the near future for either 4/3 system .....

Well if you mean EFL then 50-200 is 400mm at the long end, if you mean 600mm EFL the 200mm with the 1.4 TC which by all accounts is a solid performer gets you there with a bit more lens speed to boot...

4/3's has certain features that I would like for wildlife and close-up photography but I don't see that there's much interest in supplying those tools..... At some point one has to say enough and move on.. I'm close and while noting that Olympus DSLRs are still alive and maybe there will be one on the shelves tomorrow, that is not enough …. Spring is close.. ... I haven't left yet but I'm getting closer, much closer..... Not pessimistic, not optimistic just looking at the shelves for systems that meet my desires and pondering whether I can afford to go ...

Well, noone can disagree there, if what you want or need isnt there, and you dont want/cant wait then that is a problem... My work is product photography with some portraiture (that is what people pay me for)... SO the OMD with my ZD50 and ZD35 works well, when I do location work the 12-60 works for buildings and the mZD9-18 works well there as well... So I am taken care of, my personal, family is served well by m43rds lenses... However I have been doing some sport photography (ultimate frisbee and volleyball) and now I would love to be able to use my 50-200 again on a fast focussing body But I can wait, it is a hobby for me now.

But, with the release of a new body, I am set

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow