Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peter England
Junior MemberPosts: 49
All purpose lens help needed
Feb 14, 2013

Hi all,

I have had a Nex-5 for a couple of years and recently bought a Nex-6.  I'm totally loving this new camera and the quality of the shots it can take.

The lenses I have at the moment are:

18-55 kit lens (from the Nex-5 kit) SEL1855 - I have been using this as a general purpose lens and its quality of perfectly fine.

55-210 zoom lens SEL55210 - Used this for shots of birds and people, again I find it's quality is very good.

... and now my dilemma.

I also got a pancake 16mm kit lens with the Nex-5 and never used it.  I have played with it but never found the results to be very good.  Probably because it doesn't have OSS and I didn't know about shutter speed/aperture at the time!

Well I tried it again today with a tripod and manual settings but the best aperture to get the subject crisp is f8.  If I go below that, the thing I want to shoot is only sharp in the very centre. I was testing it about a foot away from a model car.

I am considering the SEL35F18, is this likely to be much better for sharpness at low apertures - it should be at £300+.  Or should I stick with the two other lenses I have and get rid of the 16mm?

I must point out I have only dabbled in photography for many years, but now getting into it and learning properly as opposed to just getting lucky!

This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow