ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peter England
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
All purpose lens help needed
Feb 14, 2013

Hi all,

I have had a Nex-5 for a couple of years and recently bought a Nex-6.  I'm totally loving this new camera and the quality of the shots it can take.

The lenses I have at the moment are:

18-55 kit lens (from the Nex-5 kit) SEL1855 - I have been using this as a general purpose lens and its quality of perfectly fine.

55-210 zoom lens SEL55210 - Used this for shots of birds and people, again I find it's quality is very good.

... and now my dilemma.

I also got a pancake 16mm kit lens with the Nex-5 and never used it.  I have played with it but never found the results to be very good.  Probably because it doesn't have OSS and I didn't know about shutter speed/aperture at the time!

Well I tried it again today with a tripod and manual settings but the best aperture to get the subject crisp is f8.  If I go below that, the thing I want to shoot is only sharp in the very centre. I was testing it about a foot away from a model car.

I am considering the SEL35F18, is this likely to be much better for sharpness at low apertures - it should be at £300+.  Or should I stick with the two other lenses I have and get rid of the 16mm?

I must point out I have only dabbled in photography for many years, but now getting into it and learning properly as opposed to just getting lucky!

Cheers,

Pete.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow