Macro lens for Sony Nex: SEL30M35 or Vintage/Legacy manual focus?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Questions thread
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,945Gear list
Like?
Re: Macro lens for Sony Nex: SEL30M35 or Vintage/Legacy manual focus?
In reply to Prembo, Feb 14, 2013

Prembo wrote:

Which would allow getting close to the subject? Would any of those lenses be versatile to do good portrait shots?

To my knowledge, there is no 50mm macro out there faster than f/2.8, though I think Tamron has a 60mm f/2 Macro (it's modern though, not legacy).
By definition, the Sony macro will get you "closest" to your subject, in the case of distance from lens to subject. It's working distance at 1:1 I believe is just a centimeter. If you are instead talking about wanting a LONGER working distance so YOU don't have to physically get closer, the macro lenses with the longest focal lengths will be your friend. You could probably do portraits okay with the Canon 50 macro, but you won't be getting shallow depth-of-field if that's what you are expecting. 
For a relatively compact legacy lens capable of both distance macro AND portraits with good separation, you may want to give the Nikon 105mm f/2.8 AI-s Micro Nikkor a look. I'm in the process of reviewing it, and it's a stunner of a lens, one of the sharpest I've ever used.
http://matthewdurrphotography.com
 El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow