Disqualified for too much PP?

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,612
Like?
Re: Disqualified for too much PP?
In reply to Deleted pending purge, Feb 14, 2013

I keep running into the "no PP" rule in other forums and camera clubs as well.  In my mind, it is a reactionary, outdated concept to limit PP.  Many modern camera can do a massive amount of post-processing in-camera.  What makes taking a picture using in-camera post-processing more valid than doing the same after the fact in a program on a computer?  If we are to be truly strict about the matter, in-camera PP should be prohibited as well.  Which means, no in-camera sharpening, no noise reduction, no "picture styles", etc.  So we should limit ourselves to dull, fuzzy pictures.  But what is the point of that?

I also find it a little pathetic that people want to force their concept of what a picture "should" look like on others.  If you don't like a particular style, that's fine.  But maybe other people do.  Let them judge if the image is appealing.

Of course, the people who set up the contest makes the rules, and they are free to make whatever rules they like.  Which means I don't participate in those contests that prohibit PP.  Otherwise, I'd be hypocritical, like those who make the rules and yet have sharpening and picture styles enabled in their camera.

Trying to set an "acceptable level" of PP is pointless.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow