Started Feb 14, 2013 | Questions thread
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,133Gear list
Like?
Re: differences between DX and FX lenses
In reply to Shamjith, Feb 14, 2013

Shamjith wrote:

hello there,

I am little bit confused about the lens types- Dx and Fx types, I would like to buy new lens, I am using D 90. what is the differents between DX and FX

The difference is the size of the image circle.  An FX lens has a larger image circle to cover the larger FX sensor.

is it compatible (DX ) lenses in FX bodies, gradually i would like to upgrade my gear to full frame.

Yes, DX lenses can be used with FX bodies, but (in most cases) the camera will shoot in crop mode, so in effect, your FX sensor becomes a DX sensor.  Kind of a waste, if you ask me.

If your intention is to upgrade to an FX body later, then the best advice I could give you would be to buy ONLY FX lenses.  That will save you from having to repurchase lenses once you make the switch.

However, better advice would be to just go FX now.  If you cannot afford a new FX body, look at buying a used FX body.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow