Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
retro76
Regular MemberPosts: 152
Like?
Selling my OM-D and returning to 60D
Feb 14, 2013

have had the OM-D for a couple of months, and as much as I love the size and look of the camera, I really can't seem to make that leap and sell my 60D.  Here is what I have noticed after a few months:

1) the 60D has better dynamic range.  I know that DXO says otherwise, but I get blown highlights with the OMD.  I take portraits outdoors and the 60D nails exposure and delivers a good balance of shadow and highlight whereas the OM-D will blow out detail in faces quite often like a P&S.  I can save this at times with lightroom.

2)  White balance and color are more accurate on the 60D.  Canon nails WB and skin tones. OMD white balance is all over the place even under the same lighting.  I think Olympus had a better color response with their former 12 megapixel sensor: my EPL1 always delivered lovely color and skin.  It also seems as though the 60D has a wider color palette, maybe the 14 bit processing is part of it (even though many discount it), but there is something about the tonality and color that seems more realistic and wider with the 60D.

3)  DOF.  Even with my 45 1.8 wide-open or my 25 1.4 wide-open I just can't get those lovely dreamy pictures that I get with my Canon 50 1.4.  Even with the 50 stopped down, the Olympus/Panny lenses can't match the look. Yes you can play around with subject and background distance, but at the end of the day my pictures with the OMD have lost that 3D 'feeling' and 'emotional response' I get with my Canon.

Obviously the 60D isn't as small (but nicer to handle and use) or as attractive.  There is love for the OMD as it is a sexy machine, but I really think the IQ isn't quite there (at least for me) in comparison to larger sensors.   I was stoked when I got the OM-D, but once the honeymoon wore off reality started to creep in.  It's a shame too because my biggest draw to m4/3rds are the fantastic primes.

Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow