Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
joejack951
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?
In reply to gdourado, Feb 14, 2013

gdourado wrote:

Hello,

With the increase advancements in sensor technology and mirrorless cameras, I was wondering how many non professionals still use DSLR's as their travel cameras or just general usage cameras...

With all those advancements, the "best" of the mirrorless are still quite expensive (OM-D E5), require expensive lenses to make the most of the sensors, don't offer continuous AF on par with the cheapest DSLRs, don't offer the DOF control available with a DSLR (without spending gobs of money and/or using manual focus only lenses), and will never be better at low light shooting than a similar generation DSLR APS-C or FF.

If any of that matters to someone, they are still likely to use a DSLR for most shots.

Personally, I find smaller cameras uncomfortable and awkward to use (and I have smallish hands) and any time I have to push the limits of its capability, I'm disappointed. My wife and I did just go to Disney with our son and made the hard decision to leave the D3s at home and bring only a P7700. I don't regret it as dealing with a 15 month old boy frequently takes all the energy I've got, but there are more than a few photos I'd like to have that are trash because the P7700 simply wasn't capable whereas the D3s would have had no problem (anything above ISO 1600 really).

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow