Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kaholt
Regular MemberPosts: 113
Like?
Pocket Wizards dont fir consistently
Feb 14, 2013

I have two PW FlexTTL5s, 1 miniTT1 and a Plus III. I am using them with a Nikon D800 and 2 SB910s. I also have a Sekonic meter with built in PW compatible radio.

I have found that despite the advanced capabilities of the ControlTL capable devices, I prefer just to use everything in basic trigger mode. That way my light meter can trigger the speedlights to get a proper exposure reading in the studio. Futhermore, I just like the work flow better since it matches the times I have access to real studio strobes which I also intent to buy at some point.

Given all this, I made a mistake buying what I did. I should have opted for all Plus IIIs. Nevertheless, I'm now stuck with what I have and would like to make it work. And it should. PW claim to fully support basic trigger mode in all devices.

The problem is it isnt reliable. Everthing will work fine for half a dozen pops, and then all of a sudden it stops. I have to turn all the PWs off and back on, including sometimes it seems the camera and flash to get the system working again. Then it works for a bit until maybe I pause briefly. Then it wont resume and I have to go throut the whole piwer cycle ritual again. I've tried setting the sleep timer on the SB910s to five minutes but that didnt help. I dont have to pause nearly that long for the system to act up.

I think I might have localized the problem to the miniTT1, because last night I had the Plus III connected to one of the steobes and even it quit firing and a brief good run.

Anyone have an idea? I'm thinking these Pocket Wizards are far more frustration than using CLS, which I find to generally be pretty good indoors. The only problem is no way to fire CLS with a Sekonic meter. If I could do that I would sell all my Pocket Wizards even though I'm sure I would take a huge loss. Its just too embarrassing to have to fiddle with them so much in the middle of a shoot.

Keith

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow