Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,405
Like?
Re: Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?
In reply to gdourado, Feb 14, 2013

I'm very content to use a compact camera for my travel and general usage needs.  I actually like a camera around my neck, and prefer at least the option of an optical viewfinder for those times when the LCD is washed out, so a Nikon P7100 has become a common travel companion, as has the more pocketable, though viewfinderless, Ricoh CX3.

I still enjoy taking pictures with my one remaining film SLR, a Contax 139Q.  I've never found a DSLR that is as compact and easy to use, so for the present I've stopped buying and using them.  My old Contax has a wonderfully big, bright, easy to focus viewscreen that's a joy to compose with, and all controls can be seen and adjusted by simply glancing down at the top of the camera, including the to-me-indispensable distance and depth-of-field scales on the barrels of my Zeiss prime lenses.  No DSLR is as fun to use, so despite whatever advantages they may have over a compact, I find them frustrating in comparison with my old film camera.  Somehow, the limitations of a compact are easier to live with and adapt to, probably because of reduced expectations to begin with, and therefore fun to use rather than irritating.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow