Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,334Gear list
Like?
Just about still using a DSLR
In reply to gdourado, Feb 14, 2013

My photography falls into two categories:

1. Wildlife
  2. Everything else including travel photography, family events, days out, etc.

I have had film SLRs and DSLRs for years.  3 years ago I picked up a used Panasonic G1 M4/3 camera purely because it was so cheap.  I had also just come back from a trip to Ecuador and the Galapagos with my wife carrying 2 DSLR bodies, 4 lenses, a laptop and everything else on my back and I decided never to carry so much again.

Over the last 3 years I have upgraded the G1 to a GH2, bought another M4/3 body, an M4/3 flash and 5 M4/3 lenses.  I have given away two of my DSLR lenses and and am thinking of selling two more keeping just a single general purpose lens and the 100-400mm that I use for wildlife.

I haven't used the DSLR for anything but wildlife for well over a year and have the 100-400mm on it the whole time.  It is still my primary wildlife camera but I am happy with M4/3 as a wildlife backup.  I can use a significantly smaller backpack for major trips by substituting M4/3 for the backup DSLR body and lenses and I can also carry a much lighter weight tripod. M4/3 is also much easier to use for video.

For everything else I use M4/3 because I can fit an M4/3 body, 3 lenses and a flash into a camera bag that will only just take the DSLR and a single general purpose lens.  I particularly like the small fast primes that are available for M4/3 like the 20mm f1.7 and 45mm f1.8 and use both lenses very heavily.  My next purchase will be the 12mm f2.0.

If M4/3 managed to sort out continuous focusing and brought out some good quality long prime lenses I would sell all my DSLR gear.  I currently have a Canon 7D which will probably be my last DSLR.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow