ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Iskender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,313
Like?
Olympus Lens Accessories: An Overview
Feb 14, 2013

Hello Forum,

As most of us know, the Olympus accessory policy for the Micro Four Thirds system has given rise to recurrent debates. The omission of lens hoods in particular has been a point of contention. I shall try to cast new light on this issue in this post.

Many forumites have produced page upon page of text on this issue. I have decided to instead make my point using photographs, since pictures do not lie. The first lens to be evaluated is the Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42/3.5-5.6 Mk I:

Olympus m14-42/3.5-5.6 Mk I with standard accessories.

When you buy this lens you get:

• The lens itself
  • A rear cap
  • A lens cap

There is no thread for a lens hood. In addition, the filter threads are for as good as non-existent 40.5mm filters. Is this offering comparable to those of other manufacturers? We shall soon find out, as we now compare it to a lens with a similar price in the shape of the Sigma 19mm/2.8 EX DN:

Sigma 19mm/2.8 with standard accesories.

When you unpack this lens you find:

• The lens itself
  • A rear cap
  • A lens cap
  • A lens hood
  • A soft case
  • A gold chain
  • Cuff links
  • Forty euros

I have not found any use for the case yet, but it is nice to have. The taxi fare money is a nice touch, it will come to good use when I use this lens over the weekend. I fail to understand why other manufacturers so often leave it out.

With that out of the way, we now reach the verdict.

​Conclusion:​ Olympus provide excellent accessories with their products, especially lenses. Cheap, questionable third-party manufacturers like Sigma cannot hope to keep up with the superior Olympus experience.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow