Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alleg1
Contributing MemberPosts: 582Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?
In reply to gdourado, Feb 14, 2013

gdourado wrote:

Hello,

With the increase advancements in sensor technology and mirrorless cameras, I was wondering how many non professionals still use DSLR's as their travel cameras or just general usage cameras...

If I was a payed photo professional, doing either event shooting, sports, nature or fashion shoots, a camera with maximum speed, precision and control would be a must. But if you are just an hobbyist or an amateur, do you still feel motivated to haul around a big DSLR with lenses all day?

I was wondering because myself for instance, I really enjoy some pictures I got some time ago with my 20D and 5D, but when I think about the fact that I left the hotel in the morning with a big and heavy camera bag, only to return at night, having a big camera always hanging from either my neck or my shoulder, I wish I had taken something smaller and lighter.

What are your feelings on this matter?

Cheers!

As do others, I prefer a larger camera with a bit of heft..also, my hands are on the large size and I

find even small DSLRs too small to handle comfortably, so I stick to my old Nikon D100 and D200.

Having said that I only carry a camera when specifically going out to take photos. I mainly shoot landscapes and equestrian subjects for which a DSLR seems more useful,as you note.

There seems to be an obsession with always carrying a camera on the assumption that some fantastic opportunity will arise!

From your point of view it would be worth looking at the mirrorless and other compacts, there are now plenty of them and they appear to give great results..

Alleg1's gear list:Alleg1's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Olympus E-510
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow