Anyone Miss Their 5D (I, II, or III) after getting an OMD?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,783Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone Miss Their 5D (I, II, or III) after getting an OMD?
In reply to Macx, Feb 14, 2013

Macx wrote:

You might be right, but even if the Canons tops a bit sooner than the latest Olympus sensors, how is the DR of the E-M5 if we pull the ISO to 100 or 50 compared to the Canons?

Practical DR is significantly better on the EM5.  I can't push or pull my 5D2 exposures (significantly: can't pull using ND grads in PS), or apply a strong S-curve, or really any kind of landscape specific move without banding (often) rearing its ugly head.  Shadows, and clouds.  A crapshoot really, and not even bracketing gets around it.  Contrast seems to be the enemy.  On the EM5 I have been doing all my landscaping handheld and PPing to my hearts content.  A difference like this is hard to quantify in DxO style numbers, but in the first couple of months, I can already see it is night and day to a PP-er.

As to the OP's original question, there are reasons for me to keep the 5D2, and there is no real choice for me in the matter.  m43 has several stops less "exposure gamut" speaking in terms of equivalency, and the times when I shoot with DOF creatively, the DSLR still makes the most sense.  Another thing I noticed this weekend, but this might be a lens specific consideration, is that for certainly landscapes, I can get sunstars without worrying about diffraction on most of my FF lenses.  I will probably post samples in the next weeks examples thread, but shooting a sunset against snowy landscapes I am forced down to f22 on the 7-14 and Panny FE to get the best spike effect - basically the same aperture (or tighter) than my FE and 12-24 on FF.  The upshot is massive image softening... I have to ride the "clarity" slider in PS for all its worth.  Oh, and I have to shoot on the GH2 since the EM5 has purple flare on these UWAs (though I suppose it doesn't matter much in this range since the aperture is so small that the flare spots are small) which hurts a bit with the extreme DR at play.  Then of course there are the TSE lenses I use which have no equivalent at all on the m43 platform.  Basically, niches and more niches, but for daily walkaround work and "hyperfocal" landscapes, there is no a reason for me to carry my 5D2.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TORNNew
No.New
+10New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow