*Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 251 February/13/2013*

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,788
Like?
Re: Swans - reasoning
In reply to Waynecam, Feb 14, 2013

Waynecam wrote:

Roel, the swans seem an afterthought to the busy background. Because I am now reading a book on composition in hopes of improving, I was wondering what your thouights were when composing this shot.

In a sense, the swans WERE indeed an afterthought, because I had not gone to that spot in order to photograph swans, but in order to photograph containers. I did not know there were going to be swans, but as soon as I saw them, I wanted to incorporate them in the shot in order to create a juxtaposition.

They were moving slowly but steadily, so I had to think fast on which lens to use and where to position myself in order to get both elements in the shot. Tele would have brought the swans closer/bigger, but then I would have lost the expanse of the background.

The solution was to use wide angle and wait for the birds to get close enough to have them recognizable in the frame.

This was the best I could do.

Making the swans appear even closer/bigger, I would have had to lower myself to water level, which was impossible on that spot.  I am always at least two meters above the water.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
carizi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow