Best compact zoom lens for Olympus EM-5

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Questions thread
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,126Gear list
Like?
Re: Best compact zoom lens for Olympus EM-5
In reply to MikeInRomsey, Feb 14, 2013

MikeInRomsey wrote:

I am considering buying the Olympus OMD EM5 micro four thirds camera but find the standard kit lens too large for day to day use. I am therefore contemplating buying the body only and using it with the Panasonic 14-42 power zoom lens and possibly a 20mm prime. My question relates to the correction of distortion of these lenses that is performed in camera. Being an Olympus camera will it perform this correction automatically or would or I need to post process RAW files to achieve the correction. I will also of course lose the water resistant sealing with these lenses.

Is this a good plan or should I buy with the 12-50 kit lens and buy a prime lens for use when portability is a priority. I enjoy street photography where the length of the 12-50 is a decided disadvantage.

Distortion correction is performed. CA is not corrected, different from Panasonic bodies which additionally correct CA.

Not having at least one weather proof lens makes the weather proofing feature of the camera, which you are going to pay for, kind of redundant. So maybe get a 60 macro at some later time?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow