Canon 6D can't do birds

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Spad16
Contributing MemberPosts: 851Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 6D can't do birds
In reply to John Sheehy, Feb 14, 2013

The wings are certainly blurred, but shouldn’t they be?  How blurred should wings be? On propeller aeroplanes it’s important to keep shutter speed low, to get a nice propeller blur I’m thinking maybe a bird will look more attractive with some wing blur?

But I do agree with you, they are only fairly sharp, and I know I could have done better.   I haveC2 program mode set for birds in flight,  and instead of setting it to f6.3 as I’ve had I set it on the 40D,I went up to to f7.1 because I was worried about too little depth of focus. I realize this was amistake, DoF didn’t matter much on birds in flight on the 40D, and it doesn’t matter on the 6D either.

I should probably have taken off the TC when the birds were closer, that would have got shutter speed down to 1/600 or so, but in the heat of the moment I didn’t think of it.

Thanks for good advice

/Neil

Spad16's gear list:Spad16's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow